One of the greatest films of all time, Hum Aapke Hain Koun, was released on August 5, 1994 and 26 years later, it still remains as memorable and a favourite as before. Last year, this film completed 25 years and it brought back fond memories of the film. Moreover, a special show of the film was held at Mumbai’s iconic Liberty cinema and it became a talking point. Hum Aapke Hain Koun was released in this same theatre in 1994 and this special screening was attended not just by its lead actors Salman Khan and Madhuri Dixit, director Sooraj Barjatya and other members of its team but also by fans.
A few days after these celebrations, we at Bollywood Hungama listed unknown trivia about the film and its maddening effect at the box office. We now bring a few more unknown bits regarding Hum Aapke Hain Koun that will surely be worth a read for its millions of fans.
1. Sooraj Barjatya revealed that he narrated the script of Hum Aapke Hain Koun to each and every artiste who worked on the film. He didn’t differentiate; each and every actor, dress designer, technicians etc. got a complete four-hour narration wherein the director also sung the songs fully!
2. Sooraj Barjatya had signed Jay Borade as the dance director of Hum Aapke Hain Koun. The filmmaker feared that Madhuri Dixit would have apprehensions about it since her favourite choreographer was Saroj Khan. But to Sooraj’s pleasant surprise, she had no absolutely reservations. Sooraj revealed that he sat with Jay Borade for a year to design the choreography before the film went on floors.
3. Madhuri Dixit was inundated with fan mail, after the release of Hum Aapke Hain Koun, like never before. Believe it or not, she used to receive not just a few hundreds or thousands of letters. Instead, she used to receive sack-full of mails daily without fail!
4. Veteran actor Raza Murad saw Hum Aapke Hain Koun at Basant cinema in Chembur, Mumbai and raved about the film. He was also heard saying that success of such films are ‘dangerous’ as it was a film with no villain. Hence, he joked that if such films start working, people like him, who usually do negative roles, will be out of work!
5. Not just in India, but the film set new records in overseas market as well. Hum Aapke Hain Koun ran successfully for as many 50 weeks in Belle-Vue cinema, London, United Kingdom. Interestingly, the theatre was booked for only three weeks as the theatre was to go undergo renovation. But the fantastic response to the film prompted the theatre owners to postpone the renovation by almost a year! In Albion cinema, Toronto, Canada, it ran for 75 weeks!
6. It has been reported that Hum Aapke Hain Koun was such a huge money spinner that post the release of the film; the Barjatyas paid a mind-boggling Rs. 7 crore as advance tax. This was unheard of, during those times!
7. The number of footfalls in India of Hum Aapke Hain Koun stands at around 7.4 crore, the highest domestic footfalls of any Hindi film released since the 1990s. It is said that only in Liberty Cinema, twenty lakh viewers thronged to watch the film.